How to offset cad model?

Topics applicable to newer version(s) of CMM-Manager (3.0+)
dell12345
New User
New User

How to offset cad model?

Post by dell12345 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:53 am

I want to check an in-process part using cad model but the part is not machined to size yet. The cad model from wall to hole is y 50mm. The physical part's wall to hole is y 54mm. How can I offset the cad model to have it check the physical part without problem.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to offset cad model?

Post by CrashN8 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:19 am

For POINT or CLOUD measurement only you can turn on CAD Thickness option. This is typically used from Profile analysis on net shape - i.e. cast part before machining to be sure sufficient material is present.

I think what you're describing is best performed in 3D CAD modeling software. It sounds like you are really editing the geometry of part, not just offsetting all surfaces as you would with CAD thickness.

dell12345
New User
New User

Post by dell12345 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:38 pm

It's hard to explain but since the part is not finished, if I click measure cad of said center of hole the machine would drive to the hole but be 4mm off of center.

What I want to do is offset the part 4mm so that CMM would go an extra 4mm to the center of the hole.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:23 am

If you simply adjust nominal value in Measurement then Create Path there will be a conflict with collision due to CAD not match feature. Instead you can program the feature at the CAD nominal location then Transform (shift in XYZ nad / or Rotate) the measurement by right clicking on Program step and choose Transform option as shown below. Be sure to choose Current Ref Frame option. This allows moving features in Program without having to re evaluate Path.

transform.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.