3.9 SP2 save file issue

Topics applicable to newer version(s) of CMM-Manager (3.0+)
GM_716
Getting Started
Getting Started

3.9 SP2 save file issue

Post by GM_716 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:28 am

So every program that is written we have a CMP file and PRG file of the same naming convention
PARTNAME_IP/FP/CIP_REV.CMP
PARTNAME_IP/FP/CIP_REV.PRG

Now when I create the program and "SAVE AS" and rename it to a prg the CMP gets overwritten and ceases to exist after. I did not have this issue in previous versions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 3.9 SP2 save file issue

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:20 pm

Strange... We just received report from user in Poland (using Polish Language) that Save As using .PRG format does not work. I have tested with Polish Language and can replicate the issue.

As for your issue, I have tested this in WIndows 10 using 64 bit version of CMM-Manager 3.9 and 3.10, both without issues. Can you tell us a it more about your system including WIndows version and CMM-Manager version?

Can you show screen shot of Save As Dialog with both .CMP and .PRG option selected?

CMM Guru

Post by CMM Guru » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:37 pm

I also cannot make it fail in 3.9 SP2 or 3.10 in English.

If I change the name to .prg but *do not* change the type it will save as part1.prg, but the format is still .cmp and will not open (unless I rename it back to .cmp).

In English I cannot get the strange part1.prg.cmp format, but that may simply be a case of not having enough information to know the *precise* steps to recreate.

GM_716 - can you replicate this for us and write down EVERY KEYSTROKE you use to make it happen?

GM_716
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by GM_716 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:11 am

Windows 10 64 bit version as well.
I am also using a database software to store programs, prints and reports. I have to "check out" CMP programs to edit and "check In" to save them. It seems not to like having the prg and cmp files named the same thing. I named CMP files PROJECT at the end of my normal convention and it appears to work.
It appears to be an issue with that software and not CMM manager. I thought I would reach out here to see if anyone had similar issues, I very much appreciate the assistance!

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 am

I would verify File Associations and related settings in your Document Control Software. What software are you using? I assume it's something meant for CAD, Drawings, etc. In any case this we don't have much advice as we only use SVN here for Source Code control, but have not tested other common systems used for document control.

First thing I would try is naming the PRG and CMP with unique filenames - i.e. do not use part1.cmp and part1.prg, instead use part1_working.cmp and part1.prg or something similar. If this fixes the problem then you can start looking for filters or settings in your Document Control Software that deals with filename, duplicate files, etc.

GM_716
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by GM_716 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:06 am

The database software is called CIMCO
Using unique filenames seems to work, I have been using my method for some years now without issue and after the upgrade to 3.9 I was not sure of the suspect!
Again, thank you for the support everyone!!!

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:02 pm

I just talked to software team... We think you should send a couple CMM-Manager files to CIMCO and ask them for advice. We suspect they could be looking at Meta Data / File Header in our PRG and CMP files and flagging them as matching files. These are binary files that could look pretty similar from 3rd party perspective, just a couple flags inside our files that distinguish CMP from PRG.