Position of cylinder references wrong working plane

thecmmguy
Nikon
Nikon

Position of cylinder references wrong working plane

Post by thecmmguy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:13 pm

I am currently writing an offline program using a CAD model. After performing a RPS alignment using tooling points I measured a cylinder that has a direction of 1,0,0 so it is parallel to the X axis. After measuring the cylinder I then created a Position report including the check boxes for "Coord" and "Coord Dev". In the report those areas reference the X and Y nominal locations but due to the direction of the cylinder they should reference the Y and Z values. I don't see any way to alter this.

thecmmguy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Position of cylinder references wrong working plane

Post by CrashN8 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:07 pm

We have already seen this case where Coord and Coord Dev results are not aligned to work-plane. In reality these Coord Dev values man nothing for a Cylinder and really only mean something for Circle feature. Either way, we should address this or maybe suppress Coord Dev for Cylinder. Here is a snippet of notes from our internal reporting system.
"It seems there is some concern about the Coord and Coord Dev values not correlating with current Ref Frame. They DO NOT... by design it seems. As far as I can tell (without reviewing source code) we provide these Coord Deviation(s) in a Ref Frame local to the cylinder - i.e. about the Cylinder C-Line where X & Y are location and Z is aligned to C-Line. Even then these Coord Dev values mean NOTHING. This is just the location of Cylinder at an arbitrary location along the length of the C-Line. If the actual cylinder is tilted in regards to nominal C-line then this Coord Dev value will have a unique value at every location along the length of feature."

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:09 pm

thecmmguy wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:13 pm
I am currently writing an offline program using a CAD model. After performing a RPS alignment using tooling points I measured a cylinder that has a direction of 1,0,0 so it is parallel to the X axis.....
Can you send me a copy of your project file for us to study? We do not see this behavior with every case so when it does happen we'd like to investigate. Tnx - N8

thecmmguy
Nikon
Nikon

Post by thecmmguy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:35 am

I have attached the project file and the helpdeskfile for this program. The feature in question is line 68, Report Position of DATUM-B. The reason I brought this up was first since this is an offline program I cannot tell if the results are correct which you addressed in your reply. The second is that the customer will need to know the position in order to make adjustments if needed. I can accomplish this by using the feature report however depending on how you set the tolerance it could show a bad part as acceptable or a good part as out of tolerance so I usually avoid this method.

Well I tried to attach the files and got a reply that the Helpdeskfile was too large and that the extension .cmp was invalid. Do you have another method?

I made a mistake in telling you what feature had the incorrect working plane. It is not feature 68 but feature 59, Report Position of DATUM-A. Not quite awake yet on this Monday morning. However seeing as I cannot send the file this will have to wait until I have another method to send the files.

thecmmguy
dharvey@cmmtechnology.com

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:50 pm

Try Zipping the project file and then attach... better yet, email the project file to the Re-Seller Support email address. We will evaluate, suggest solution, and post solution here on Forum. Best to use email for back and forth communication and just post simple solution here at Forum.