Obtain and measure feature from variable

Advanced techniques applicable to any version of CMM-Manager
myork1967
Nikon
Nikon

Obtain and measure feature from variable

Post by myork1967 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:56 pm

I will post up some images of the part when i get them...

If you have a feature, how would you go about obtaining data from that feature and uses that to measure another feature relative to that variable.

My example is that i have a part with lets say a 50mm diameter cylinder. I have another cylinder same axis at lets say 50.50. Can i with VB (or otherwise) obtain the actual diameter from the 50mm cylinder and add to that so it would keep away from that cylinder diameter so it will be "less likley" to hit the cylinder. The measurement would be on the "lip" where the two cylinders meet.

I have seen a program in mcosmos that does it but I do not know high level language programming enough to comment other that the comment i just made.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan Christopher
Nikon
Nikon

Re: Obtain and measure feature from variable

Post by Ryan Christopher » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:13 am

There are posts on this topic already if you search for "parametric" programming.

The first one that pops up for me is a great example:
viewtopic.php?f=31&p=5105&hilit=parametric

The only thing you would need to do differently is to assign the variables not with:
VarX = MsgBox("hi mom")

But with something like:
AxisX = GetFeaturePropertyAct("ELLIPS1", 7)

The Syntax for GetFeaturePropertyAct and other commands is in the VB reference here:
C:\Program Files\Nikon\CMM-Manager 3.9 SP2\Help
Ryan Tackes
Applications Manager, VMS Inc.
http://www.vantagemeasure.com/

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Obtain and measure feature from variable

Post by CrashN8 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:37 am

Aside from VB you might achieve this through Relative Measure tactics. Check out Edge Point... Or extract raw data from smaller cylinder, the repeatedly set origin to extracted point followed by measured point at relative location. Note - you will want Program Running Preferences set as shown below for relative measurement to occur after each set Origin operation.

prg_preferences.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.