Move Part

Advanced techniques applicable to any version of CMM-Manager
martincka9668
User
User

Move Part

Post by martincka9668 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:39 pm

Hello, I need help on the move part function. My part is to long for the CMM. I checked half of the part. How do I check the other half of the part?

Thanks,
Sandy

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Move Part

Post by CrashN8 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:00 pm

I don not have a Move Part Tutorial yet... However even I reference the Help Files each time I do "Move Part" and while referencing Help Files I am able to pull this off successfully every time. Sorry to just simply refer you to Help Files, but in this case it is actually the perfect reference.

martincka9668
User
User

Post by martincka9668 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:05 pm

Ok. I will try that. Thank you.

Acuity_Metrology
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Acuity_Metrology » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:39 pm

I had a lot of success with the move part command lately by translating and rotating my ref frame rather than building a feature based reference frame. If you know roughly where the part will be after the move, this process makes it really easy.
  • Write the first half of the program just as you would.
  • Go to the Program ribbon tab and add the move part (this adds the two steps for the beginning and end of the move)
  • Highlight the beginning of move step
  • translate and rotate the reference frame as needed so that after the move, the CAD can synchronize just like normal to the parts second position with the CAD and CAD Reference Frame moving to the Part Reference Frame.
From this point on, you can easily toggle the part from the before and after move positions by highlighting the end of move program step, going to the Program ribbon tab and into the Move Part operation. You can now access the "Part Status" button and when you select that, you just need to tell the program whether you are in the before or after move.

You can even toggle the status, amend steps, and then toggle back. Just make sure you do not create paths from the Before Move, with the After Move status.

CMM Guru

Post by CMM Guru » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:18 am

If you need the measurements from both halves to be in one common report you need to remeasure common reference features though.

Acuity_Metrology
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Acuity_Metrology » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:22 pm

Agreed. It certainly does not work for everyone.

In my case, the important thing was that the part flipped 180° around the 'Y' axis in the middle of the program. They had fixturing that would hold a good relative position from one side to the other, and all I needed was enough to go directly into DCC motion to set up the second side ref frame. For that, the method works really well.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:17 am

FYI - I did find the Move Part Tutorial / User Guide. It's actually included with all CMM-Manager installations and can be found here - C:\Program Files\Nikon\CMM-Manager [current version]\Help\Feature Reference - Move Part.pdf