Probe Comp turned off.

Topics applicable to newer version(s) of CMM-Manager (3.0+)
myork1967
Nikon
Nikon

Probe Comp turned off.

Post by myork1967 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:00 pm

I have noticed this since version 3.4 and always wondered why...

On a fresh install of CMM Manager, if you go to preferences and measure, the probe compensation is turned off by default.

Can anyone explain why this is?

Thanks in advance...

medupriest

Re: Probe Comp turned off.

Post by medupriest » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:33 am

The only compensation that should be turned off by default is for a manual point. This is due to the difficulty in applying compensation to a single point. There are also several way to compensate a point and they are used for different applications, so for CMM-Manager to decide how to compensate the point for the user could create erroneous data.

On manual machines, it is safer to measure a feature (like a line or a plane) and then extract the raw data from the feature to retrieve the points. By this method, the points are compensated together as a feature, and have a greater chance of being compensated together.

myork1967
Nikon
Nikon

Post by myork1967 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 pm

i was on version 3.4 a few years ago and it was turned off in the back end..but on the front end even though comp was ON, the data showed it was off....

but your answer makes sense

ty

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:28 am

Probe Comp for manual and non-CAD measured points is OFF by default. I think ON for CAD based point measurements... The theory is that without CAD or at least good idea of the surface vector it's safer (more accurate) to measure with no comp. Please note that report 'distance between' operation has options to apply probe comp as the report is made - i.e. apply probe comp to point that's perpendicular to other reported line or plane.