Where to start- CMM Manager on a Numerex 98 2424

countryguy
Getting Started
Getting Started

Where to start- CMM Manager on a Numerex 98 2424

Post by countryguy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:32 pm

Not sure where to start, so I'll take this first step. Summary: Dad/Son home shop startup. Son's biz. Dads the engineer, janitor, and general mentor :-0

Several CNC machines in a 3 car garage we have taken over. Heated, and cooled. Nice and man-cave like. We are just bought a Numerex 2424-18 which was refurbed in 98. PH6, something called unimeasure on floppies... and a DOS computer.

Has a y axis error. Noted possilbe the Amp or scales... we'll sort that out and I have parts sources... but before I go buying upgrades on 98 type gear... Will that even interface up to CMM Manager?

What would folks here need to know about the scales or interfaces it comes with to determine if they can be used... Or whom do I call about getting some info and insight on what cards and interfaces equipment gets us upgraded into CMM manager?
turns out were just a few miles away from Nikon CMM in Brighton MI (so I'm told).. . Would they have a sales engineer?

I have locate the CMM micron x manual.. but not even sure it applies yet. being the newb.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where to start- CMM Manager on a Numerex 98 2424

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:47 am

Micron-X is plug-n-play with CMM-Manager although you'll need to get this Y axis error sorted out. You could try 30 day free trial to at least confirm plug-n-play connection to Micron-X. As for Y axis error... I would start with cleaning scales (I presume they are glass) with appropriate cleaning agent. I think ISO (Isopropyl) Alcohol is safe, I would double check with local CMM service company or Numerex user manual if available. If cleaning does not do the trick then it's possible that scale tuning is required - i.e. analog scales require proper voltage and A-B channel offset. Local CMM Service company can help with that, send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with someone local.

countryguy
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by countryguy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:11 pm

Thanks... Mind a question unrelated on how to transport. it's coming home in a 26' Air-suspension truck on the 27th by us. The owner is considering having us remove the Y Axis and scale as it's external and he thinks it should come off to get it out of the room it's in. (tight). Sound like an OK idea?
B) Others noted to move X and and Y into position over a threaded insert on the table. We were told to screw in an stand-off threaded rod, and somehow lower Z down onto it and secure both Z and thread up a bit to remove the load/weight off of Z for the trip.... But Not sure what is in the Z head to thread the rod into? or how that works but we'll sort it out. Thought I would ask if you have some insight on the head and Z assy for transport.

The unit had an upgrade in 98 so the unit box does interface to CMM... we received some pics and called some expertise. So that's a good sign.

I am pretty advanced in electronics and electro-mechanical repair and theory so I should be able to get into some diagnostics on the Y side. The overall terminology and operation of glass scales and signals from the read head I'll need to learn and develop knowledge upon... but that's the fun part IMO.

Any other thoughts comments or insight TOTALLY WELCOME. Super cool industry. I'm a bit hooked of late. Looking forward to CMM'ing into 21

countryguy
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by countryguy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:14 pm

:-( Not allowed to PM as yet.. maybe you could PM me who ya like locally. Several in MI and little insight into any as yet.