RPS Alignment - Example

US_Helpdesk

RPS Alignment - Example

Post by US_Helpdesk » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:19 pm

An RPS Alignment is used to apply constraints to features in one or more axes. When applied properly six degrees of freedom are constrained / locked in a similar fashion to a 3-2-1 alignment with the added benefit of applying offsets to each feature / constraint.

- In a first axis, three or more RPS constraints must be locked to define an (offset) plane.
- In a second axis, two RPS constraints must be locked to define an (offset) line.
- In a third axis, one RPS constraint must be locked to define the locating point.

This alignment is typical in sheet-metal applications where the Coord System is not local to the part and the primary datum is not a simple plane. i.e. Datum Targets or Net Locators are used for primary Datum, 4-way locator for Secondary Datum and 2-way locator for the Tertiary Datum.

Below is an example of an RPS Alignment in CMM-Manager. In this case only three features are used. Each of these features was measured using Relative Measure so the feature is located position-ally as well as height / depth due to extra sample points being measured.
print.jpg
RPS.jpg
See attached project file...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I've migrated to a new user account, see my other posts here

Murguel
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: RPS Alignment - Example

Post by Murguel » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:01 am

This Alignment is not ideal.

Datum A3 cannot be at same time Datum B because B is the Zero-Point of CAD-Reference-Frame. It should be ideally a Circle but not a Long-Slot. In this Example the correct alignment should be:

A1_B (locked X, Y, Z) 3
A2_C (locked Y, Z) 2
A3 (locked Z) 1

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RPS Alignment - Example

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:14 pm

I think the example is actually correct... Only the feature naming does not match 2D drawing.