CMM Software calibration

CMM Software calibration

Postby Jake E » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:18 am

OK, here is a weird one. Our DCMA (gov inspector) says that our CMM software has to be calibrated. The software itself not the machine. I have never heard of this. How does one calibrate software? The best i can think of is gettign a letter from the manufacturer of the software (we are using CMM_Manager Manual-LT, 2.4.0.0., Build 2009-1106) stating that there are no issues with that software version.

Any ideas?
Jake E
New User
New User

Re: CMM Software calibration

Postby US_Helpdesk » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:30 am

There are several tests that could be performed... Most times I would guess your auditor is looking for conformance of Fitting Algorithms used in the software to create geometric features from measured point data.

These Algorithms can be tested by a third party such as PTB - http://www.ptb.de/cms/en/dienstleistungen/zs.html

Here is a link to the CMM-Manager PTB certificate - https://www.cmmmanager.com/ftp/PTB-certificate.pdf

Starting in version 3.2 we've created a program / utility where you can perform similar tests on your seat of software. Using a NIST data set CMM-Manager can construct many geometric features and then compare our Best-Fit results to the NIST certified expected results. See the support page for more info - http://www.cmmmanager.com/support/index.html

11. Can CMM-Manager Algorithms be verified using NIST data sets?

Yes - Starting with version 3.2 a Program (.PRG) is included with CMM-Manager installation. Run the file NIST_test.PRG and specify the NIST dataset location when prompted. Click here to download the NIST dataset or search for "Algorithm Testing" on the NIST website.

Program Running Instructions:

1) Open NIST_test.PRG from CMM-Manager

NIST.jpg

2) Copy NIST data-set into local system - We suggest placing the entire NIST folder in the C:\ProgramData\Nikon\CMM-Manager 3.6 directory like this:

NIST1.jpg

3) Play the Program - Press the Play button from the Program Ribbon Tab. Note: We suggest selecting the Report or Feature Database Tab (vs. Program) Program execution will be faster if the Program Database is NOT selected.

4) Enter Information at each Prompt
    a) Work Center ID - Could be Alpha/Numeric input - used as designation between unique systems at your facility
    b) Software Version - this info is generated automatically just click OK to confirm
    c) Your Name - self explanatory (I hope)
    d) +/- Tolerance - This is the Tolerance at which pass / fail is determined - i.e. If the Fit Results have larger deviation than Tolerance then report will show Failed, otherwise it will show Pass. Note: Most results will have deviation starting at 10 or mode decimal places. Some Cylinders and Cones will have deviation starting at 6th or 7th decimal place.
    e) NIST folder file path - This is the file path where you previously copied the NIST data-set, in this example the path would be C:\ProgramData\Nikon\CMM-Manager 3.6\

5) View Report - The NIST results report will be written automatically to the file-path where the NIST folder is located - in this example the NIST report is here - C:\ProgramData\Nikon\CMM-Manager 3.6\Nist.csv

Note: This program can take 30+ seconds to execute depending on the PC running CMM-Manager. We suggest closing additional programs if execution time is too long. You may also consider disabling Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware software since this program will read / write to 240+ individual files located in the NIST folder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
US_Helpdesk

Postby plsapra » Tue May 13, 2014 2:16 pm

I am running 3.3 and have done a search but can not find NIST_test.prg. Can someone tell me where I can find this program. We are working on DPD certification and running this is required by the procedure.
plsapra
Getting Started
Getting Started

Postby plsapra » Mon May 19, 2014 7:39 pm

I have looked through the program files trying to find this program but can not find it. Can somebody tell me where it is located? I am running 3.3.
Thanks.
plsapra
Getting Started
Getting Started

Postby US_Helpdesk » Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 pm

Win 7 - C:\ProgramData\Nikon\CMM-Manager 3.3 SP1\Project

Win XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Nikon\CMM-Manager 3.3 SP1\Project
US_Helpdesk

Postby plsapra » Tue May 20, 2014 3:59 pm

I have Win 7 but do not have a Project folder in this directory. I have done a search for NIST_test.prg on the entire C drive with no files found.
plsapra
Getting Started
Getting Started

Postby mhochkins1 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:13 pm

Make sure that your "Folder options..." are not hiding ANY folders or files and extensions. Then you should be able to see the "ProgramData" folder. I know you are using v3.3 but the file path should be the same:

C:\ProgramData\Nikon\CMM-Manager 3.4\Project

Folder_options.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best Regards,
Mark Hochkins
Omni-Tech Corp.
810 750-6474
mhochkins1
Nikon
Nikon

Postby plsapra » Tue May 20, 2014 4:27 pm

Found it. I was looking in Program Files not Program Data.
plsapra
Getting Started
Getting Started

Postby mhochkins1 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:29 pm

:D I thought that may be the case. Sometimes it is hiding as well
Best Regards,
Mark Hochkins
Omni-Tech Corp.
810 750-6474
mhochkins1
Nikon
Nikon

Postby jcolodney » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:33 pm

What are general steps for running the program and evaluating results?
jcolodney
New User
New User

Next

Return to UI / General Usage