Trying to get the manual CAD aligment to work

Allawynn
User
User

Trying to get the manual CAD aligment to work

Post by Allawynn » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:30 pm

Under the Alignment Ribbon is an option for CAD alignment. Which is a useful tool. However, with that being said, I am successful with 1 use of it. Upon running a second part or part number, it seems to just do it's own thing. The manual points will turn green on the model, but the white crosses are off in never land. At the conclusion of the CAD alignment routine, I have inserted Runtime Align Part. I was told - to never Sync the model when using CAD align. Therefore, the question is: How do I use this function for multiple, un-nested, even unrelated parts to work for more than the first part?

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trying to get the manual CAD aligment to work

Post by CrashN8 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:19 am

How many points have you measured and in what arrangement? In my experience and based on the algorithm that drives this alignment, you must take points that cover the part on three distinct sides - i.e. Top, Front, Left - Top, Right, Back - etc. Also even though the minimum number of points is 6, I suggest taking 8 or more. This will give better overall constraint and give you an opportunity to "throw away" points each time the program is run in case that 1-2 points were outliers.

Allawynn
User
User

Post by Allawynn » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:39 am

screen 1.jpg
As you can see, I have 3 on top, 2 in front and 1 on the right side
screen 2.jpg
this shows where the CMM THINKS the model is - as in - the white crosses
screen 3.jpg
the CAD best fit report
screen 4.jpg
and then the cmm moving to where it thinks the part is, while the part is directly under the tip, the tip moves in the +X, +Y quadrant
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:50 pm

Send me your project... I'll PM my emails address.

Allawynn
User
User

Post by Allawynn » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:54 pm

OK - I will send you two. In the interest of time, I am doing a work around with this part. I know it should work, as one of the 2 I will send you work yesterday, was done in 5 minutes. the 2nd one, will be the 3rd one I have to do.
My e-mail is: deleted user email send me something and I will forward them to you.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:08 pm

I just ran the files you sent me with no issue... As I stated originally, please add mode points to CAD Alignment. You're arrangement of points is fine - i.e. Top, front, right is covered.

Those deviations (in INCH) are massive and makes me wonder if you have a setting that's affecting all of this. You did not send Help Desk file... can you send?

Allawynn
User
User

Post by Allawynn » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:39 pm

OK - I will make a help desk file and send it your way -

Ryan Christopher
Nikon
Nikon

Post by Ryan Christopher » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:14 pm

It's been a while since I tested this so I'm not 100% certain, but I think this is what you need to turn on.

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryan Tackes
Applications Manager, VMS Inc.
http://www.vantagemeasure.com/

Allawynn
User
User

Post by Allawynn » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:40 pm

I do have that on. BUT, I did not have the 2nd button checked - ie, Always for Set Origin. Maybe - that is the magic bean it needed to have on.

Again, I was running a series of different part numbers, -YY-xxx, -XX-xxx, -ZZ-xxx. It worked for the first part I ran, but, as shown above, the machine would head to where the program thought the CAD and Part were at. I have seen this before. only been successful 1 or 2 times in getting it to work, and only for the first part, first try. After that, it seems to be locked into something in the background.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:46 pm

Allawynn wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:40 pm
Again, I was running a series of different part numbers, -YY-xxx, -XX-xxx, -ZZ-xxx. It worked for the first part I ran, but, as shown above, the machine would head to where the program thought the CAD and Part were at. I have seen this before. only been successful 1 or 2 times in getting it to work, and only for the first part, first try. After that, it seems to be locked into something in the background.
Next time it happens save the Run Results file. Just click the little diskette icon in the Program Run Controls in Program Ribbon tab. Send that file, maybe I will see something there. I have studied your Help Desk files and don't see a problem.