Mold Cavity Alignment

JMMOLD1986
New User
New User

Mold Cavity Alignment

Post by JMMOLD1986 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:10 am

I am new to CMM Manager, and have a project to measure pin locations on three plastic injection molds, each with three pockets (all identical), my first program, I aligned the part using the manual alignment then selected 15 points on the parting line then within the pocket and used those points for RPS alignment. I used Runtime Alignment, measured my features and ran the program, and it seemed to run fine, but then it would not repeat. I was seeing results differing from .0001 to .007! I also tried to run the program and align it to the different cavities and it would start out fine, then there'd be a collision. I tried a few different alignment methods, all with similar results. I'm missing something but can't nail it down. Here's a pic of the cavity, and a pic of the mold I'm measuring. Would appreciate any help, or at least an avenue to investigate what I'm doing wrong here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

US_Helpdesk

Re: Mold Cavity Alignment

Post by US_Helpdesk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:06 am

I cannot imagine how RPS is used with 15 datum target points... This sounds more like a Best Fit Alignment. With this said, RPS does allow for over-constraint and should work well as long as the alignment is created correctly.

I would work with Help Desk on this issue. You can send the Project file for analysis and Run Results file to illustrate the runs that are not repeating. I suspect you are looking in the right place (Alignment)... I just cannot imagine where to look.
I've migrated to a new user account, see my other posts here