Alignment after mirror

smudge611
Getting Started
Getting Started

Alignment after mirror

Post by smudge611 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:17 am

I am having issues with mirroring programs, which I need to do daily. I am trying to mirror a fixture that holds a rear combination tail light for a vehicle. The left hand program is written and runs fine. I mirror the program, on the ZX Plane. Mirror Program and Mirror Cad are both checked. Mirror Range I have tried both entire program and selected block. After Cmm manager is done mirroring,Cad and program both look like they are in the correct coordinates, so I hit confirm.
I do a 6 point CAD alignment from the tooling balls, then remeasure them in DCC and run a RPS Alignment. If I try to run the program the CAD will be way off in space off the table.
I was told there was a issue when mirroring with a 6-point CAD alignment and the alignment need to be retaught. I do this, but when I try to run the program again, after the 6 point alignment it looses it's program alignment and tries to move over to where the left hand part would be. Getting frustrated, any help would much be appreciated.

Running Cmm Manager 3.9 with a Ph20 head on Windows 10

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alignment after mirror

Post by CrashN8 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:50 am

I doubt it's the CAD Alignment... It's more likely the subsequent RPS Alignment. I think you'll need to open your RPS Alignment and swap (+/-) signs for features constraining the mirrored axis. Are you using latest software version (3.9)? If so, 3.9 SP1 is releasing this week and contains a new Mirror option that gives finer control of Program as well as CAD mirroring plane(s).

smudge611
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by smudge611 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:17 am

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700k CPU 3.70GHz
Memory 16 GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
CMM Manager 3.9.2.7233
PH20 Probe Head

After upgrade to SP1, I was able to mirror 1 fixture correctly. Yesterday I finished another fixture and when I attempted to mirror the probe angles would not mirror correctly. The fixture is in car position. For example my first probe angle is supposed to be A0 B0 for measuring the tooling balls. After mirror I get A60 B-45

jswope
Super User
Super User

Post by jswope » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:04 am

I have always created a new program with mirrored cad. If you have point clouds that you have entered into the LH program you can export them from the LH program (Display => Cloud Editor => Select All => Export). Just make sure your cursor in the tree is after your RPS alignment before exporting the points. After you have exported them just go into the text file and change the Y values from negative to a positive. Change the file extension from a .txt to .dat Then you can import the cloud into the RH program. You will have to extract the vectors from the points before measuring them (Display => Cloud Editor => Select All => Auto Nominal). Hope this helps!

ken60
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by ken60 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:22 pm

Your probe angles will mirror perfectly if your part coordinate system parallel to Machine coordinate system

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:01 pm

ken60 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:22 pm
Your probe angles will mirror perfectly if your part coordinate system parallel to Machine coordinate system
This is true... Starting in 3.9 SP1 you can however define a CAD and Part Coord system that are unique - i.e. Mirror about Fixture Ref Frame but also control the CAD un-mirrored axis.

ken60
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by ken60 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks CrashN8 for that information