Automatic approach and retract changes

TimChaucer
Frequent User
Frequent User

Automatic approach and retract changes

Post by TimChaucer » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:36 pm

I was editing a program to resize some CAD-taught pilot holes after an engineering change, when it became clear that the approach and retract values only changed automatically when I changed from a larger to a smaller hole diameter. When changing from a smaller to a larger hole, they stayed the same. This would be OK if the holes were always close to their nominal locations. If not, the smaller distance to material from the hits' start points would limit the distance a hole could be off-location without requiring a manual adjustment. When starting new holes, the distances are OK.

Do you think this behavior could be adjusted?

JohnK
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Automatic approach and retract changes

Post by JohnK » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:23 am

Well This comes from the DCC overwrite enabling from collision detection and shrinking the approach and retract distances to prevent the move to the start of the touch path running into the surface around the hole. If you are scaling up a hole there is no collision conflict to trigger the recalculation so the saved DCC overwrite stays applied. If you remove DCC overwrite check prior to adjusting the nominal size they will default back to the program settings, unless another conflict is detected and then they will shrink to fit inside the new hole.

US_Helpdesk

Post by US_Helpdesk » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:06 pm

This behavior only occurs when the current back-off / approach distance cause DCC motion beyond the hole center.
I've migrated to a new user account, see my other posts here

TimChaucer
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TimChaucer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks for the replies.