Programming radial measurements

bhaseus
Participant
Participant

Programming radial measurements

Post by bhaseus » Mon May 15, 2017 12:47 pm

I need to program our CMM to take measurements on a part that has an inside and outside cone. Inside base dia = 151 mm and outside base dia = 178mm. Cone height is 24mm. I need to know the base width.
Just like the customer, I have to measure lines on the inside and outside of the cone but space them 30° apart radially. The head will be rotated A90 B-90 to measure inside and outside of the cone.
I then have the rotate the head A90 B90 to measure a line across the bask of the part to get the base cone width. With these measurements, i have to construct points where the line was measured at the base of the cone to get the distance.
How do i radially measure lines on an inside and outside cone and keep them in-line with each other and the line measured at the base of the cone?
When measuring using unequally spaced lines, my base width is out of spec (too long because my lines aren't radially on top of each other but instead are more diagonal. I can only measure and get the correct results when measuring at 0 and 180. Even when doing it at 0 and 180 my results still don't match the customers. We have CMM manager 3.0.1.1.

Thanks your help is appreciated.

medupriest
SUDO
SUDO

Re: Programming radial measurements

Post by medupriest » Fri May 19, 2017 1:52 pm

If you are measuring them with CAD, you can measure a cross section of the cones and flat as a 2D entity. Cross sections can be created from the editor in the display tab. you just need to establish a cutting plane, create the cross section, pick the entities you want and add them to CAD.

bhaseus
Participant
Participant

Re: Programming radial measurements

Post by bhaseus » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:57 pm

Thanks for your reply medupriest. I figured it out. I ended up constructing 2-D outside and inside lines in the shape of a cone (the part i have to measure) using CAD. I syncd CAD with the CMM for an auto measurement.
The CAD lines were spot on giving me the correct base width on a cone.