Is the Altera CMM capable of measuring and reporting distances between two features?

vasile_bratan
Getting Started
Getting Started

Is the Altera CMM capable of measuring and reporting distances between two features?

Post by vasile_bratan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:04 pm

Hello all and apologies for asking something that may have been asked before. I work in a manufacturing plant and we've had the Nikon Altera 10 for a nuber of years unused. I've been tasked with learning how to use it. I've managed to understand probe design and calibration, as well as aligning a model of a part in the software to the physical part on the table. The way we decide if a part is acceptable or not, we take xyz readings between features and compare to drawings. Say the center of a hole is 0,0,0 and i know the other hole is say 5.000 inches away, horizontally. Is the machine we have capable of doing that? i've already exhausted the instructional material we have on hand and i'm a bit lost on what to do next.

Thank you all for your help,
V

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is the Altera CMM capable of measuring and reporting distances between two features?

Post by CrashN8 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:06 pm

Yes, of course this is possible. Once you have an alignment you are already half way there. Just measure the second feature and then report distance between feature 1 and 2. What software are you using on this Altera CMM?

vasile_bratan
Getting Started
Getting Started

Re: Is the Altera CMM capable of measuring and reporting distances between two features?

Post by vasile_bratan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:22 pm

Hello and thank you for quick reply.

We are using CAMIO 8.4. I downloaded the latest CMM manager from the Nikon website but i believe it needs a different license. Still waiting on a reply from them.

We are mainly using sheet metal parts, so three plane alignment is tricky. Is there a way to align parts from features like holes? Say i have a model loaded and i have two holes in the same plane. I want to make the datum (0,0,0) as the center of one hole, put the other on the same axis (say x). Once i've defined all other holes, i wan to have the x,y,z dimensions form the datum to the rest of the features(holes).

Thank you,
V

vasile_bratan
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by vasile_bratan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Also, another question that cams up was if this is all possible to be done without the CAD model. Sometimes we prototype parts and they haven't been 3D modeled yet. Still, we want to know the relations between two or more features of said part, like distances between holes, or offset heights, etc, and compare them to the 2D drawings. In that case, I want to fix the part to the table, realign the reference frame so that two ID holes are horizontal, "zero out" the probe head at the origin, move it to the feature i want distance to and have the report tell me x,y, z readings of the position of the hole from the origin. Is this possible?
I hope i've been clear enough in my explanations.

Thank you,
V

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:06 am

Yes... This is all possible. For CMM-Manager, I suggest you start in the training material section of the forum here - https://cmmmanager.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2176