Unstable (changing) Feature (and path) Nominals

John Dee
User
User

Unstable (changing) Feature (and path) Nominals

Post by John Dee » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:56 pm

Hello,

I cannot seem to protect my feature nominal as well as the feature's Path nominal from changing, and I'm not sure why they are changing. I write a program--inputting my nominals (for a point) in both of the above said inputs, and then save everything and run the program, and upon post-run review, both the location as well as the outward normals change (e.g., outward normals were initially set to X axis and after run are in 3D). Then the path Vtouch nominals are changed, too.

I need to be able to input the locations, outward normals, and Vtouch locations & vectors and lock them. Could someone enlighten me as to why this happening?

Much appreciated!

Murguel
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Unstable (changing) Feature (and path) Nominals

Post by Murguel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:07 pm

Are you coming from another platform (Polyworks, Faro Cam2Measure, PowerInspect)?

If so, then you may struggle because I've learned that CMM Manager doesn't work like the others. Better your simply forget everything what you had in mind.

I bet, the admins might be able to explain you this any better but until then I will write you how I live with it:

I believe CMM-Manager lets you input Nominals just for visualization reasons. This seems to be relevant to have the nominals at least during programming at the expected locations. But after the Alignment, it is applying the Translations/Rotation Matrix to all of the elements, in this case, also to the Nominals. I believe other Software is aligning Measured-Results to CAD. But CMM Manager seems to align CAD to Measurements (just what I believe).

However. It was a descent experience and I thought something might be wrong with CMM Manager. But since I do ignore that, because I put the Nominals to the "Report-Element" anyway, I have no ussues.

Aren't you working with Report Elements? I believe those are perfectly doing what PowerInspect/Polyworks does. And their nominals keep what they are. CMM-Manager is not translating/rotationg those.

John Dee
User
User

Post by John Dee » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:35 pm

No Sir, I am only using CMM Manager in its simplest form. Strictly writing simple programs in joystick mode....perfecting the nominals by inputting the nominals after the measurement...and then saving the program and running it. Upon completion of the run, the nominals have changed...both the locations and surface normals as well as the Vtouch in the path.

Any suggestions as how to prevent these inputs from changing?

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:17 am

This behavior is by design... please read this post - viewtopic.php?f=39&t=805 - then read it again after testing some of these concepts. And maybe read it once more for good measure :)