Distance between - Planes

JohnK
Frequent User
Frequent User

Distance between - Planes

Post by JohnK » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:19 am

was measuring a part there is a 12" cylinder flat and side supports 2.11" below the flat _-----_ when I asked for the distance between the plane and the flat and the side supports i would get ~.05" or more variation around. but when I reported the Z-axis value for each plane measured on the supports it dropped down to ~.02" variation and more centered around nominal.

What is the difference between "distance between" and "leveling -> report feature" in this instance?

mhochkins1
Nikon
Nikon

Re: Distance between - Planes

Post by mhochkins1 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Try "asking" for the distance between the planes in the Z axis and it should be the same as reporting the distance in Z if one of the planes have been "leveled" and set as the origin.

When reporting the distance between features, make sure you are reporting along an axis or the correct working plane. If you select the 3D option, the distance between will be calculated to the centroid of the features which might not necessarily be what you are "looking" for.
Best Regards,
Mark Hochkins

JohnK
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by JohnK » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Feature 14.66_height
Feature PLANE1_Copy
Nom Act
ZA 2.1100 2.0777

Feature PLANE1_Copy
Nom Act
Z -2.1100 -2.1140

mhochkins1
Nikon
Nikon

Post by mhochkins1 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:12 pm

I don't understand what you are reporting for the ZA. Is that a distance between output? Between what other feature ("Feature 14.66_height")?

Did you level to a plane?

Do you want me to look at your project file?
Best Regards,
Mark Hochkins

JohnK
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by JohnK » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:41 am

sorry for being unclear, 14.66_height is the pane I am leveling to. I want the distance between that and plane1_copy in z-axis only (ZA). The first line is dist between 14.66_height (z=000 i=0 j=0 k=1)) and plane1_copy and I don't need xy, yz,zx,3d,xa,ya information just Z-axis (ZA in report) comes at 2.0777.

While in this same reference frame I ask for feature report of plane1_copy for Z-position comes at 2.1140

A feature projected to the support plane (plane1_copy), the thru hole in it, the distance from 14.66_height is also 2.1140.

So the only time I get a difference is when directly comparing planes. Is this affected maybe by the distance options for planes? (was a little uncertain about what they meant exactly) is the ~.014" parallelism affecting the distance by three times its value?

mhochkins1
Nikon
Nikon

Post by mhochkins1 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:33 am

In my judgement, yes the distance options for the planes and also the parallelism will have an affect on the output.
"Normal Dist" means - perpendicular to the surface, where "Center Dist" is to the "centroid".
The centroid can change depending on the length and width of the measured plane in this case.

To analyze it further, try extracting the points or create high and low points from your planes and look at the distances in ZA, YZ and ZX.
Best Regards,
Mark Hochkins

JohnK
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by JohnK » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:49 am

So with "normal distance", anytime they are not perfectly parallel will I be gaining possible error? if so, how do you use it?

"Normal Dist - projects each feature center to the other feature, then takes the average of the two distances (this is the default). "-help file

So this can project far off the actual surface on relatively small planes from how I read that. Though might average out the parallelism more for larger planes

mhochkins1
Nikon
Nikon

Post by mhochkins1 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:57 am

Fun stuff, huh?

This may all be useful information but for the most part it can be confusing.
Try setting up a long gage block and checking your distances with the various output methods.

I will typically ask for the normal distance between a plane and a point. It can broken down further if there is a parallelism issue to see where the max and min distances are.
Best Regards,
Mark Hochkins

Jean lin
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Jean lin » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:37 am

Hi~
In my company's case, I got the same problem with distance between planes. And all the planes are far away from each other,please refer to attachment.When I calculated distance between planes or distance between a plane and a point,the results of distance plane B to plane 1 & distance from plane B to plane 2 are much closer to specification.And then when I calculated the distance from plane 1 to plane 2,the result should be closer to specification, but the result show is not closer to specification.I think this is weired,whether I use the wrong way to calculate the distance or not.Please suggest,thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.