Surface Profile using CAD to Cloud

Mi1358rim
Regular User
Regular User

Surface Profile using CAD to Cloud

Post by Mi1358rim » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi,
I am wondering about the Lock Rotation and Translation options in report cad to cloud deviation. Suppose I had a Surface Profile of a plane (plane 1) relative to another parallel plane (datum plane) and suppose there was a complete datum reference frame but the other two datums where not included in this particular feature control frame. If I leveled to the datum plane, measured plane 1, and then reported with CAD to Cloud what would happen? Oh and both of these planes have a normal vector of 0,0,1.

If I left best-fit unchecked it would just compare the measured x, y and z coordinates with the nominal, right? and thus approach vectors might add an additional deviation associated with x and y that do not factor into my Feature Control Frame, which is only concerned with z?

If I checked best fit cloud to CAD and left all the locks unchecked it would essentially report back to me the flatness of that plane, right?

And if I wanted it to report to me what I was after, the surface profile relative to a single parallel datum, I would select Best Fit-clouds to CAD and choose to lock everything except translation in x and y, right? or would I lock just translation in x and y? Or am I even thinking about this correctly?

Thanks!

US_Helpdesk

Re: Surface Profile using CAD to Cloud

Post by US_Helpdesk » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:20 am

Did you get this figured out? If not, send me the project next week. I am off and will have some time to look at it. -N8
I've migrated to a new user account, see my other posts here