Decimals missings and annoying thousands separator

Murguel
Frequent User
Frequent User

Decimals missings and annoying thousands separator

Post by Murguel » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:51 am

Hi,

as the subject of this topic shows, I got an issue when I export a report into Excel.

My measured and nominal values are shown as

3,953 instead of 3953.35

There is a thousands separator, what I don't need and - what's a bigger issue - the decimals are missing. Is this a question of settings? Or do I have to edit some templates? Issue with the region settings on computer (German)?

Below is a section of my Excel Sheet. Please bear in mind, that we have a point as thousands separator and comma for dezimals (here the decimals are missing anway)
Excel_Fehler.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Murguel on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dezimals missings and annoying thousands separator

Post by CrashN8 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:00 pm

This is almost certainly a Format issue with your seat of MS Excel. You will need to format numbers such that "." is decimal point. It looks like your system is expecting "," for decimal and then ignoring the actual decimal point that comes later in the number string.

Murguel
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Murguel » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:58 am

I have checked your point but I believe the issue is a little more complex.

Please have a look below. I have copied a section from the affected Excel Document. We have tested this on several computers and installations with the same effect.

As you can see on the black marked area. The value has been correctly submitted, even with more than 9 decimals. However. The red marked result shows no decimals but a thousands separator. And when you look at the cell-format, it was set to "Custom" ("Benutzerdefiniert" in german). This is nothing what happens from alone. The developers probably are formatting the cell to a custom format, what causes some issues in other countries (probably not notebooks with english setup). All other cells do have the format "Standard".
Unbenannt.png
This issue is only with Excel. The other Reports (HTML, PDF) are fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:29 am

We test the software in several languages and regions including Japanese, Chinese, French, German, etc. I would guess the Windows region is set to EU with local language for our team members in EU offices.

I will look into this. Can you give me a bit more detail? What version of Windows are you using? What is region / language set to in Windows. What language is used in CMM-Manager (German I presume) What format are you saving this report to? Looks like the standard Excel format. Does the issue only occur when viewing report in Excel or also when viewing report in CMM-Manager natively?

If possible send me your Help Desk File and this project file. Thanks again - Nate

Murguel
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Murguel » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:37 am

Honestly. I do appreciate your immediate feedback. But I don't believe it has something to do with our system. Because the affected cells are no more of "Standard Format". Those have been set to a custom format, what can only be done from the Source-Application, what is CMM Manager. Excel usually doesn't format cells during transfer.

I have an idea what the programmers might have done wrong. There is a setting in prefrences where I can choose the count of decimals to be displayed and I have selected 3. Bearing in mind, most of my values do not have decimals at all in the Excel Export but 3 digits after thousands separator, I believe, CMM Manager is truncating all values after the point, what is a decimal sign in US, but a thousands separator sign in Europe.

However. Please find attached the project file. I am sure it will work at your computer. This is definitively a format issue. Please have a look below. The cell format is obviously set to "0.000" (with point), what should be "0,000" (with comma) in Germany.
01_FormatIssue.PNG

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Decimals missings and annoying thousands separator

Post by CrashN8 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:42 pm

I completely understand your issue and we are looking into it. It may or may not be the case that CMM-Manager is actively setting the format of these values. It purely depends on the OLE automation interface when writing to Excel document, whether we (CMMMgr) are send value as String, Variant, Number (with Format), etc. If we are sending as String or Variant, the Excel could very well be setting the Format. As you mention, this is likely a format or data type issue, we will look into it but will need your help with info from your system.

If you could still provide details on OS, language, region, etc. I will appreciate it, this way we can test in the same environment you are using.

Murguel
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Decimals missings and annoying thousands separator

Post by Murguel » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:01 pm

CrashN8 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:42 pm
If you could still provide details on OS, language, region, etc. I will appreciate it, this way we can test in the same environment you are using.
I've been a bit in hurry today that's why I missed to state our os-profile. Please find it below:

Windows 7 64bit
Microsoft Office 2016 Enterprise
Locale Format Settings = German
Language Setting = German
Decimal Separator = ,
Thousands Separator = .