Profile of a surface VS Cloud to cad comparrison

Chadyng
Getting Started
Getting Started

Profile of a surface VS Cloud to cad comparrison

Post by Chadyng » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:56 pm

I have some questions concerning Profile measurements VS cloud to cad deviation. My company is relatively new to the CMM Manager Software. We have some plastic parts to inspect and a step file to go with. The prints have no basic dimensions at all, as they are all to be pulled from cad.
My question is what exactly is the difference between the "Profile of a Surface" feature and the "Cloud to Cad" feature? If the basic dimensions are all pulled from CAD, and I do not change the reference frame at all, should the two not report a feature with the same number? With my current part, the two are reporting very different numbers, and I am trying to understand why. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have attached some photos showing how I am reporting them.

RodGarrett
Nikon
Nikon

Re: Profile of a surface VS Cloud to cad comparrison

Post by RodGarrett » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:08 am

Hello, currently your photos are not showing up. When you report cloud to CAD you need to be sure your CAD is correctly sync'd. Also, in the case of Cloud to CD comparison plus values are plus stock in the normal vector direction. Negative values are minus stock in the normal vector direction. When you report profile of a standard geometric feature plus and minus values are relative to datum directions. It often confuses users.

Remember to make sure you CAD it properly sync'd prior to using the Cloud to CAD comparison and it will be the method you prefer.

Chadyng
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Chadyng » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:59 pm

thanks for the info Rod! I think It's in the CAD sync that I'm running into issues. When i try to add a CAD sync to my program there are 2 options. One is to move the CAD model along with the reference frame, and the other to just move the reference frame. The problem is that when i check the box that "adds this to the program", the 2nd option to move only the ref frame and not the model also becomes greyed out. Do you know why this is? In my case, I need to move that ref frame a few times throughout the program, but i need the CAD model to stay put. Is there a way to accomplish this? Thanks!!

Chadyng
Getting Started
Getting Started

Post by Chadyng » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:08 pm

thanks for the info Rod! I think It's in the CAD sync that I'm running into issues. When i try to add a CAD sync to my program there are 2 options. One is to move the CAD model along with the reference frame, and the other to just move the reference frame. The problem is that when i check the box that "adds this to the program", the 2nd option to move only the ref frame and not the model also becomes greyed out. Do you know why this is? In my case, I need to move that ref frame a few times throughout the program, but i need the CAD model to stay put. Is there a way to accomplish this? Thanks!!

medupriest
SUDO
SUDO

Post by medupriest » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:53 am

The second option is not available at runtime and we cannot move the CAD reference frame at runtime. For Cloud-to-CAD analysis, you always want to have the CAD synced.

You can change your part coordinate system as often as you would like throughout your program.

If you have profile callouts to different datum structures throughout your program, you will want to change your part coordinate system to the appropriate datum alignment, and then translate your part reference frame back to your CAD reference frame by the nominal values. Then you can sync your CAD and report your Cloud-to-CAD. You can also use RPS (relative point system) and align to your new datum structure that way. Help topics for these can be found for these topics by selecting the "?" in the upper right hand corner and searching for the topic.
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:03 pm

Chadyng wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:56 pm
I have some questions concerning Profile measurements VS cloud to cad deviation. My company is relatively new to the CMM Manager Software. We have some plastic parts to inspect and a step file to go with. The prints have no basic dimensions at all, as they are all to be pulled from cad.
My question is what exactly is the difference between the "Profile of a Surface" feature and the "Cloud to Cad" feature? If the basic dimensions are all pulled from CAD, and I do not change the reference frame at all, should the two not report a feature with the same number? With my current part, the two are reporting very different numbers, and I am trying to understand why. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have attached some photos showing how I am reporting them.
I would almost always use Cloud to CAD for Profile report. There is a limitation with traditional Profile report that reported feature(s) must be geometric (plane, line circle, etc.), while Cloud to CAD allows all surface types including irregular shapes.

Here is a nice post I've updated to show some capabilities of Cloud to CAD reporting including Graphical Reporting - viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2984

jk_vidana
New User
New User

Post by jk_vidana » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:23 pm

Hello, Excuse me I Was wondering if you could guide me of who could help me with this question.. ( I sent it to helpdesk.nm-us@nikon.com) but have not received any answer. I also tried to contact you directly but only found this way to reach you (reply to this post.

Thank you in advance.

On Friday, November 1, 2019, 07:25:22 AM CDT, Jose Vidana <jk_vidana@yahoo.com> wrote:

Good Morning..

Excuse me I would like to know if you can help me to understand how CMM manager calculates the surface profile of a plane. I Made a Plane (Datum A) and leveled to that datum, then a Made a plane with 68 points (Plane 9) to 1.68 mm (Basic Dim) height and report surface profile to Datum A.

Is there a way to see every point of Plane 9 and their dimension to Datum A?
I Just made an exercise touching single points and reporting their height to Datum A, none of them are out of the profile tolerance, however the profile is out of spec. So I would like to understand how CMM manager calulates the Profile of a surface.

Is there a way to graph this surface profile?

Thank you in advance

J. Angel Vidana
915 2087698
El Paso Tx
Quality Engineer and CMM Programmer.

CrashN8
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CrashN8 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:52 pm

It all depends on how the Plane was measured... I'll assume you've measured it manually -i.e. using joystick. If so, it's likely that the Nominal Value(s) for Plane is wrong. You can set Nominal Values from the Feature Database by double clicking on the feature and adjusting values in the Nominal Tab of the resulting dialog box.

Note - If you had measured this plane by importing CAD, measuring Alignment, then picking from CAD model the Nominal Values would be set already.

The calculation for Profile does require that Nominal definition of feature is correct. Once correct you should see results that make sense.