Cloud to CAD Color Map

Greg
Power User
Power User

Cloud to CAD Color Map

Post by Greg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:51 am

I have a program that gets the profile and does a cloud to CAD comparison. I turned the colored disks on in the report and noticed that some were in different orientations. Some are on their sides. I have pointed out them out in the below picture. I just want to know what that means and if I'm doing something wrong here. Are they considered bad hits? Because they look good when they are measured. Thanks

Ryan Christopher
Nikon
Nikon

Re: Cloud to CAD Color Map

Post by Ryan Christopher » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:13 pm

This is an indication of the vector of the nominal and suggests that the point is being compared not to the surface you intended but rather to an adjacent one.

This is because C-2-C reports look for the closest nominal surface at runtime to find their nominal values and sometimes, because of variance, a measured point will be closer to the nominal of a different surface than the intended one.

A couple way's to solve this:
1. Open the Cloud-2-cad dialog box and reduce the CAD Surface List to only the surfaces that you are comparing to for this output.
2. Report using Cloud-2-Curve. For this you will need to create a curve to compare to using the CAD Editor.
Ryan Tackes
Applications Manager, VMS Inc.
http://www.vantagemeasure.com/

Greg
Power User
Power User

Post by Greg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:10 pm

Ryan Christopher wrote:This is an indication of the vector of the nominal and suggests that the point is being compared not to the surface you intended but rather to an adjacent one.

This is because C-2-C reports look for the closest nominal surface at runtime to find their nominal values and sometimes, because of variance, a measured point will be closer to the nominal of a different surface than the intended one.

1. Open the Cloud-2-cad dialog box and reduce the CAD Surface List to only the surfaces that you are comparing to for this output.
2. Report using Cloud-2-Curve. For this you will need to create a curve to compare to using the CAD Editor.
Thanks Ryan. Reducing the CAD surface list did the job.

Greg
Power User
Power User

Post by Greg » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:06 am

Ryan Christopher wrote:This is an indication of the vector of the nominal and suggests that the point is being compared not to the surface you intended but rather to an adjacent one.

OK So I'm trying to do a Could-2-Curve and I can't select my curve on the reporting side. I created a curve in the editor but it won't let me select it when I try to report it. It will highlight it but won't let me add it to the CAD curve list. Any ideas why? Thanks again.

Ryan Christopher
Nikon
Nikon

Post by Ryan Christopher » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:05 pm

I haven't gotten CMM-M to report cloud-2-curve in any case where it isn't measured with this procedure...

1. Create the curve.
2. Use RIBBON > FEATURES > CAD TEACH > 2D and select a curve (cannot be straight line curve)
3. When the error pops up, select cancel and CMM-M will make a cloud of the points.
4. Cloud-2-curve works in this case.
Ryan Tackes

Greg
Power User
Power User

Post by Greg » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:15 pm

2 curves.JPG
Ryan Christopher wrote:I haven't gotten CMM-M to report cloud-2-curve in any case where it isn't measured with this procedure...

1. Create the curve.
2. Use RIBBON > FEATURES > CAD TEACH > 2D and select a curve (cannot be straight line curve)
3. When the error pops up, select cancel and CMM-M will make a cloud of the points.
4. Cloud-2-curve works in this case.

OK that worked, although there are many more ways to measure the cloud, create the curve which do not.
For #2, I am assuming you meant use "CAD Teach Complex 2D". That was the only one that worked for me.
I did not get any error messages for #3.

Also an FYI, I was able to use a straight line by selecting both clouds and curves. I had one curve over the top arc and the other on the bottom straight (see pic). So I reported both and then deleted the others to give me the cloud 2 curve report of the straight line. Otherwise, if I tried selecting just the curve for the straight line, it would not take it.

And finally, I noticed the reading were quite a bit higher using the cloud-2-curve than what I got doing the cloud-2-cad. If you happen to know, what is the right scenario of using one over the other?

Ryan Christopher
Nikon
Nikon

Post by Ryan Christopher » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:57 pm

Greg wrote:For #2, I am assuming you meant use "CAD Teach Complex 2D". That was the only one that worked for me.I did not get any error messages for #3.
You can use 2D (not Complex 2D) to select curves that aren't lines or circles but when you do cmm-m gets confused and displays a msg asking if the thing is a line or circle. When that 'error' pops up, select cancel and then cmm-m provides a path as a cloud.

The benefit of cloud-2-curve is that depth isn't included in the error. In the case where had measured points on a thin sheet metal edge that were not located in-line with the cad nominal surface, the nominal and deviation would be wrong with cloud-2-cad because that tool looks for the closest surface to derive the nominal value from at run time.
c2curve.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryan Tackes

Greg
Power User
Power User

Post by Greg » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:13 pm

Thanks Ryan. I was able to follow your steps above and the cloud-to-curve worked.