dual feature control frame profile of a surface

JPETERSEN
User
User

dual feature control frame profile of a surface

Post by JPETERSEN » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:18 pm

having a bit of confusion on this one. print calls out for profile of a curved surface to be held within .020 to ABC then another secondary control frame .005 to AB need help interpreting this call out. would you just report the secondary control frame with a cloud set to ±.0025?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ryan Christopher
Nikon
Nikon

Re: dual feature control frame profile of a surface

Post by Ryan Christopher » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:52 pm

This scenario is one of the only complaints I have with CMM-Mgr right now.

-C- is uncontrolled in the lower portion so the degrees of freedom controlled by -C- don't matter there. Technically, if surface is within the +/- .0025 while constrained to the datum ref. frame of the upper portion then both requirements are satisfied. The problem with that is that it is overkill.

In the upper portion I would use cloud-2-cad as normal.

In the lower portion I would want to turn on the best fit (with the degrees of freedom switches) to allow the feature of note to control the degrees of freedom that are uncontrolled by the lower portion. The problem with this is that the coordinate system may not be 'square' to the controlled degrees of freedom so setting the switches is impossible. And because Cloud-2-CAD alignments automatically do a Sync CAD option 1 you can't go that route either.

When I see this kind of thing on a print I make sure that the datums for these features is 'square' to the coordinate system axes that way the switches will work.
Ryan Tackes
Applications Manager, VMS Inc.
http://www.vantagemeasure.com/

JPETERSEN
User
User

Post by JPETERSEN » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:02 pm

thanks for the reply ryan!
The feature has some swarf to it, with the surface being not perp to -A- but is parallel to -B-. Best fit would be my only option then, with no locks selected, correct?

Ryan Christopher
Nikon
Nikon

Post by Ryan Christopher » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:22 pm

You definitely need to lock the axes that correspond to the d.o.f. controlled by A and B.
Ryan Tackes
Applications Manager, VMS Inc.
http://www.vantagemeasure.com/