CMM Xpert

Discuss hardware / software options here
vherrera
Participant
Participant

CMM Xpert

Post by vherrera » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:41 am

I was wondering if anyone had any positive or negative experiences using CMM Xpert.

From what I understand all you have to do is load the PDF version of the Drawing from Solidworks to the program and it will auto upload all of your dimensions and tolerances with balloons. Because my Engineering Dept. makes all of the drawings to post plating tolerances how much extra work will be created for me in regards to having to go into the program and change nominal dimensions/tolerance

US_Helpdesk

Re: CMM Xpert

Post by US_Helpdesk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:09 pm

I have heard from the guys at CMM Xpert / Inspection Xpert that the CMM-Manager report format is already supported by their product. I think you import the model and the CMM report and then work on ballooning, formatting, etc. the output from their software. I would check their site... I think they do live web demos and will provide a trial copy.
I've migrated to a new user account, see my other posts here

vherrera
Participant
Participant

Post by vherrera » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:20 pm

Thank you,

I watched the demo video they had but I do agree that a live web demo will be better. I am completely happy with the reporting format that CMM Manager has and do not wish to get another program that does the exact same thing. I was just curious about ease of changing nominal dimensions & tolerances within the program itself.

mhochkins1
Nikon
Nikon

Post by mhochkins1 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:52 pm

I have used CMM Xpert in the past (about 3 years ago). The company that I worked for has relation at CMM Xpert so it was kind of forced on me as a beta tester.

I am already proficient using Adobe Acrobat Pro and can balloon and number a PDF drawing rather quickly so I resisted it a little. Overall it did a pretty good job of recognizing dimensions. But, depending on whether the tolerances are included on the drawing in line or at the title block can present some challenges. You will need to review the drawing and edit if necessary. By the time I got done editing, I could have the drawing ballooned and numbered with a corresponding Excel formatted report. That was an A2LA accredited lab so I could not use CMM output reports. The report had to be on controlled documents (which was an Excel document).

My preference is to use Adobe Acrobat Pro for ballooning the drawing and then use the standard CMM Manager Excel output for the corresponding report.

Mark H
Best Regards,
Mark Hochkins

Ryan Christopher
Nikon
Nikon

Post by Ryan Christopher » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:56 am

I demo'd one of the competing products about 2 years ago and had similar results.

The idea is good but it's just too 'one size fits all' to accommodate the variety of customers and requirements that I have to deal with.
Ryan Tackes
Applications Manager, VMS Inc.
http://www.vantagemeasure.com/

US_Helpdesk

Post by US_Helpdesk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:47 am

mhochkins1 wrote:That was an A2LA accredited lab so I could not use CMM output reports. The report had to be on controlled documents (which was an Excel document).
You could use DDE or modify my AS9102 converter incorporate CMM-M reports into an "approved" or controller Excel sheet.

mhochkins1
Nikon
Nikon

Post by mhochkins1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:54 pm

The idea of CMM Xpert is to create a ballooned drawing and corresponding report all in one effort. I do not remember if I could have used a certain spread sheet template, i.e controlled document in CMM Xpert (I think I could). However, the DDE would be even more work to setup initially. It would not be very efficient for small projects. I suppose it would be beneficial for large production runs.

I'm sorry, I have not used the AS9102 converter so I cannot comment on that...but it looks like vb script might be needed.
Best Regards,
Mark Hochkins

US_Helpdesk

Post by US_Helpdesk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:28 am

VBA was used to write the AS9102 converter... No knowledge of VB is required to use the converter.

mhochkins1
Nikon
Nikon

Post by mhochkins1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:48 am

Sorry, I did not mean for the AS9102 converter itself, I meant to get the data where it is supposed to be.

Anyway, I don't mean to knock any software. It may all work well. I am just saying it depends on the application.
The application I was using it for, it was more efficient if I created the ballooned drawings and report template myself.
In high pressure situations, you go with what works efficiently.

After this discussion I remember that there were certified document template forms for Excel in CMM Xpert, but they also needed to be customized.
Best Regards,
Mark Hochkins

Ryan Christopher
Nikon
Nikon

Post by Ryan Christopher » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:19 pm

Nate's AS9102 converter is awesome for getting CMM Manager data into Net Inspect easily. Because Net Inspect is such a pile of junk it's nice to have a way to streamline the process of getting data into it.
Ryan Tackes
Applications Manager, VMS Inc.
http://www.vantagemeasure.com/