COM port settings for PHC 10-2

mcasey
Regular User
Regular User

COM port settings for PHC 10-2

Post by mcasey » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:23 pm

We just got a new computer for our CMM and I am having some trouble getting it to communicate with the PHC 10-2 (RS232). Based on the switch positions on the back of the PHC (which didn't change from the last computer), it is set for a baud rate of 9600, 1 stop bit, CTS off, LF off,and basic command set. Attached are screen shots of the settings for CMM Manager and the COM port settings under Windows device manager as well as the error message that I am getting. Does anyone have any thoughts on what is set wrong? Let me know if there is any additional information that is needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

US_Helpdesk

Re: COM port settings for PHC 10-2

Post by US_Helpdesk » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:42 pm

An easy way to swap PCs is to Backup old system and restore as described here - https://cmmmanager.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=411

Or just open Machine Setup on old PC and verify settings... Is this a USB to Serial Adapter? If you changed the Com Port number of USB device, you must restart PC for changes to take effect.
I've migrated to a new user account, see my other posts here

mcasey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mcasey » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:04 pm

Unfortunately it isn't possible to reference the settings on the old computer as this new system was built because of a hard drive failure on the computer we were using. Serial connection is going to a dedicated COM port header on the motherboard. I'm wondering if maybe/hopefully someone on here might be running a PHC 10-2 and could check their settings against what I have in the previously posted screen shots and tell me if there are any differences in the settings. Also, I'm wondering if switching over to the Renishaw extended command set would be an option. Does CMM manager support this?

US_Helpdesk

Post by US_Helpdesk » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:29 pm

The Extended Command Set is not supported... Are you using the same serial cable from the old PC? It should be Null Modem. There is no reason for this not to work. What dip switches have you changed on the PHC10? If these are set the same as the old system and the Com Port number is correct, it should work. Can you create a Comm Log and attach to thread?

mcasey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mcasey » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:45 pm

Everything with this setup is identical with the exception of the computer. Same cables and no changes to the dip switches. How would I go about creating a comm log?

mcasey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mcasey » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:08 pm

I just remembered that I had saved a configuration backup file to our server several months ago. So I imported that. However it didn't fix the issue. Additionally, I found instructions on the forum for creating a communications log but the resulting log.txt file is empty. Is this normal? At this point I can confirm that nothing has changed with dip switches or wiring and that the settings in CMM manager are the same as they were on the old computer. The only thing that remains an unknown would be the COM port settings in Windows. I'm starting to think that maybe I should try to find some free serial port monitor software to see if that yields any useful information. Any suggestions?

US_Helpdesk

Post by US_Helpdesk » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:50 pm

I've emailed you a utility for testing PHC10 connection....

mcasey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mcasey » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:06 pm

Thank you, I will let you know what I find out once I get a chance to work on this today.

Luke Skywalker
Participant
Participant

Post by Luke Skywalker » Mon May 09, 2016 11:29 am

Good Morning Sirs,

I believe I'm having a very similar problem, but we dint charge a computer, in our case, CMM Manager for no reason just stop controlling the Probe Head and now, we are unable to run any program that has probe head movement.

We have a PH10 probe Head with the same PHC10-2 Controller.

I went to Machine setup and found that the Probe Head Controller setting is set to "No PHC (manual probe head)"

The other 2 options that I see on the PHC setting dropdown list are GPIB and Serial, but our Computer comunicates with the CMM via PCI Card but I dont see that option on the dropdown list.

I fisicly check the cabling and there is 2 cables going out of the PCI Card, one of them goes to the Probe Head Controller, the other one goes to the CMM Controller

Just for the heck of it I did try the Serial and the GPIB settings without any luck.

The next two tings that I thing I can try are:
1.- search for a restore point before the problem and try it, if there is a problem with the PCI Card driver this might fix it or...
2.- perhaps I should try the Utility for testing the PHC10 Connection you mentioned a couple of posts before?

Please advise. thanks in advance.

US_Helpdesk

Post by US_Helpdesk » Tue May 10, 2016 2:29 pm

For motorized probe head you must choose either GPIB or Serial connection... Manual PH option will not work with motorized probe. Just look to see what connection is made from PHC-10 to PC, it's either serial or GPIB, then configure the port. You can refer to the install guide for details - https://cmmmanager.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=262

Also, it's a good opportunity to reiterate how important it is to Export Machine configuration. If you had Exported your Machine Config, you could just Import it today and be up and running.